Suzani, early to mid 20th century, Uzbekistan 197 x 116
Hurry up! Sales Ends In
Fine silk embroidery on yellow silk base. Slight fraying to the outer edge. Needleworker's design marks and other old marks visible. It would make a good hanging and we can prepare it for that application.
Suzani means needle work and a great many were and still are made in Uzbekistan and traded in bazaars across the Middle East. Mid 20th century examples often have very bold colours. Patterns can be big and bold, coarse or superbly delicate. Most are made from approximately 40cms wide cotton or silk strips. The craft is an important ritual and social activity of Uzbek women, often of an extended family, producing dowry pieces, nuptial night bed covers and curtains. The designs, especially larger ones, are drawn up on an assembly of several panels by a skilled person which are then given to the embroiderers to be completed. sometimes several different embroiderers work on them. Then they are joined together. Sometimes the different style of each embroiderer can be detected in these works of many hands. Some examples can be found at The Burrell Collection in Glasgow.
WHERE WE DELIVER TO
- We use various shippers to deliver our goods within the UK and abroad. Sadly the environmentally friendly camel train, for thousands of years the mainstay of the silk Roads, is no longer operational though we occasionally use a bicycle. There are no limits to where we deliver, except those of cost.
- At our discretion items eligible for 'free shipping' may not apply if our shipper quotes a significant premium for your postcode. If this is the case, we will contact you and you may cancel the order or choose to pay the excess. Overseas delivery often requires more complex paper work and on rare occasions we may charge for this
WHERE WE DELIVER FROM
- Most of our stock is stored in our Edinburgh warehouse. Just a few items are stored in our partner's warehouse in London. All goods purchased from our website are shipped direct from either of these premises to you.
- Almost all on-line orders are delivered within a week, many within 2 or 3 working days (we are closed on Mondays).
- Bulky items may take longer. We are normally able to share tracking numbers or advise likely delivery dates but we don't operate a guaranteed service
- At our discretion items eligible for 'free shipping' may not apply if our shipper quotes a significant premium for your postcode. In this case, we will contact you and you may cancel the order or choose to pay the excess.
- We have 4 basic UK shipping rates: standard small items £3.95, standard £8.95, Large £25 and X Large £35.
- Large items of furniture or some bulky or fragile items may be listed as collection only or require you to obtain a quote from us before you can complete the purchase.
IS A SIGNATURE REQUIRED
- Since Covid19 most shippers do not want signatures, being happy instead with your stated name and sometimes just taking a photograph of the item on your door step.
- If your order doesn't arrive in reasonable time (see above 'How long delivery takes') you must contact us immediately and certainly no later than 7 days after you placed your order. Shippers may some times be late but they depend on reputation. Since opening our Ecommerce website 4 years ago, we have lost one packet of moth traps, at the time of writing (19.10.2020).
We want customers to love what they buy. You may return any item that is not what you want or if it is faulty or not what you ordered.
- Goods for return should be sent to The Nomads Tent, 21, St Leonard's Lane, Edinburgh EH8 9SH, UK. 0044 131 662 1612, email@example.com. Please contact us in advance of returning an item. For larger items such as rugs or furniture we may be able to help arrange a courier and deduct the cost from your refund (this will be waived if the item is faulty).
- If you wish to return an item that is faulty or not what was ordered we will refund the full cost plus any agreed shipping costs. But you must notify us by phone, email or website message within 3 days of the delivery date. Any exception to this time limit will be at our discretion. We will make a full refund including agreed shipping costs when the item is received back at our warehouse*. If return is due to the wrong item being sent, to qualify for a refund the item must be received by us in the same condition it was in when you received it.
- In cases of faulty or incorrect goods please contact us to arrange a shipper. You will need to package the goods in a similar manner to which you received them.
- If an item you purchased was offered with 'free shipping', this means The Nomads Tent agrees to pays for the shipping on condition you keep it. If an item is returned for any reason other than being faulty, not what was ordered, or because we made an agreement in exception to the normal terms, we will deduct the cost of the outward shipping.
- If you wish to return an item because it doesn't suit your needs or you have changed your mind you must notify us by phone or email or website message within 14 days of the delivery date. You must return the item within 14 days of contacting us unless we agree more time. If requested we may arrange shipping for you. You will be responsible for safely packaging the item for return. We will make the appropriate refund, less shipping costs, when the item is received into our warehouse* in the same condition it was in when you received it.
- We will only refund whatever is is agreed to be refunded, when the goods are received by us in perfect condition (or as they were when dispatched in the case of faulty items) and within the period of time stated above.
*With rugs shipped from our partner warehouse in London, if you are arranging return shipping, items must be returned to the same address.