Afghanistan in Eurasia; A talk by Warwick Ball - 4th November at 6pm
Hurry up! Sales Ends In
We are delighted to be hosting this talk at The Nomads Tent on Thursday 4th November at 6pm.
Afghanistan throughout history has both shaped and reflected events throughout Eurasia, a subject explored in Warwick's latest book; The Eurasian Steppe: People, Movement, Ideas.
It has been stated that Afghanistan has no great history of statehood or even historical reality, only coming into existence in the eighteenth century and consolidated in the nineteenth. Yet since earliest history, Scythians, Greeks, Huns, Turks, Mongols and a host of others have found a home in the territory of Afghanistan, not to mention Zoroastrians, Jews, Buddhists, Christians and Muslims, all practising art forms that both affected and reflected art from Western Europe through to Japan and most in between. The story of Afghanistan therefore is the story of much of Eurasia: nothing in Afghanistan occurs in isolation.
Warwick Ball spent many years in Afghanistan conducting archaeological field-work and research, as well as elsewhere throughout the Near East. Author of many books on the history and archaeology of Afghanistan and adjacent regions, including Monuments of Afghanistan: History, Archaeology and Architecture (2008) and most recently The Archaeological Gazetteer of Afghanistan: Revised Edition (2019) and co-author and editor of The Archaeology of Afghanistan from the Earliest Times to the Timurid Period (2019). In 2020 the University of St Andrews offered an honorary Doctorate of Letters in recognition of his outstanding career as a near eastern archaeologist. Born in Australia, Warwick now lives in the Scottish Borders.
Warwick's latest book, The Eurasian Steppe: People, Movement, Ideas has just been published by Edinburgh University Press and is available at this lecture at 30% discount. It is also available for pre-order with an exclusive launch discount code NEW30 for 30% off on Edinburgh University Press’s website: https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-the-eurasian-steppe.html
An interview with Warwick about his latest book can be found here.
Pre-order discount code is valid until the end of November.
WHERE WE DELIVER TO
- We use various shippers to deliver our goods within the UK and abroad. Sadly the environmentally friendly camel train, for thousands of years the mainstay of the silk Roads, is no longer operational though we occasionally use a bicycle. There are no limits to where we deliver, except those of cost.
- At our discretion items eligible for 'free shipping' may not apply if our shipper quotes a significant premium for your postcode. If this is the case, we will contact you and you may cancel the order or choose to pay the excess. Overseas delivery often requires more complex paper work and on rare occasions we may charge for this
WHERE WE DELIVER FROM
- Most of our stock is stored in our Edinburgh warehouse. Just a few items are stored in our partner's warehouse in London. All goods purchased from our website are shipped direct from either of these premises to you.
- Almost all on-line orders are delivered within a week, many within 2 or 3 working days (we are closed on Mondays).
- Bulky items may take longer. We are normally able to share tracking numbers or advise likely delivery dates but we don't operate a guaranteed service
- At our discretion items eligible for 'free shipping' may not apply if our shipper quotes a significant premium for your postcode. In this case, we will contact you and you may cancel the order or choose to pay the excess.
- We have 4 basic UK shipping rates: standard small items £3.95, standard £8.95, Large £25 and X Large £35.
- Large items of furniture or some bulky or fragile items may be listed as collection only or require you to obtain a quote from us before you can complete the purchase.
IS A SIGNATURE REQUIRED
- Since Covid19 most shippers do not want signatures, being happy instead with your stated name and sometimes just taking a photograph of the item on your door step.
- If your order doesn't arrive in reasonable time (see above 'How long delivery takes') you must contact us immediately and certainly no later than 7 days after you placed your order. Shippers may some times be late but they depend on reputation. Since opening our Ecommerce website 4 years ago, we have lost one packet of moth traps, at the time of writing (19.10.2020).
We want customers to love what they buy. You may return any item that is not what you want or if it is faulty or not what you ordered.
- Goods for return should be sent to The Nomads Tent, 21, St Leonard's Lane, Edinburgh EH8 9SH, UK. 0044 131 662 1612, email@example.com. Please contact us in advance of returning an item. For larger items such as rugs or furniture we may be able to help arrange a courier and deduct the cost from your refund (this will be waived if the item is faulty).
- If you wish to return an item that is faulty or not what was ordered we will refund the full cost plus any agreed shipping costs. But you must notify us by phone, email or website message within 3 days of the delivery date. Any exception to this time limit will be at our discretion. We will make a full refund including agreed shipping costs when the item is received back at our warehouse*. If return is due to the wrong item being sent, to qualify for a refund the item must be received by us in the same condition it was in when you received it.
- In cases of faulty or incorrect goods please contact us to arrange a shipper. You will need to package the goods in a similar manner to which you received them.
- If an item you purchased was offered with 'free shipping', this means The Nomads Tent agrees to pays for the shipping on condition you keep it. If an item is returned for any reason other than being faulty, not what was ordered, or because we made an agreement in exception to the normal terms, we will deduct the cost of the outward shipping.
- If you wish to return an item because it doesn't suit your needs or you have changed your mind you must notify us by phone or email or website message within 14 days of the delivery date. You must return the item within 14 days of contacting us unless we agree more time. If requested we may arrange shipping for you. You will be responsible for safely packaging the item for return. We will make the appropriate refund, less shipping costs, when the item is received into our warehouse* in the same condition it was in when you received it.
- We will only refund whatever is is agreed to be refunded, when the goods are received by us in perfect condition (or as they were when dispatched in the case of faulty items) and within the period of time stated above.
*With rugs shipped from our partner warehouse in London, if you are arranging return shipping, items must be returned to the same address.